[Kartbuilding] Fwd: Wheel Lift

Stephen Burke kartbuilding at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 19:04:34 IST 2006

Hi Frank,
Ideally the inner wheel wouldnt lift off the ground.
Whats meant to happen (with karts anyways) is that the chassis flexes a
bit. So when going around the corner if the weight distribution is
correct, the outside rear wheel lifts a little off the ground. This is
because on karts - there is no differential, so to allow smooth cornering,
the camber angle helps this.
So ideally the front wheels would stay on the ground, and the outside rear
wheel should just touch off the ground (or well less weight to be on this
rear wheel).
As for formulae and steering geometry. There is one for the Ackerman
angle. The rule of thumb is outlined on my website.
As for the castor and camber - Im not quite sure. Possibly!

Best of Luck,
Steve