[Kartbuilding] Accessible go cart

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Tue Aug 21 11:22:06 IST 2007

Hi Kim,

First off, I can't say I have seen a handicap accessible/adapted go-kart
(go-cart). I have seen the two-seater karts which you mentioned, but as
you said, its far from ideal.
I done some searching, and indeed - there does seem to be a lack of
awareness and catering for handicapped people when it comes to go-karts. I
could find no trace of a wheelchair accessible go-cart. There were a few
mentions of a golf-kart for wheelchair users.

If I were to begin making a wheelchair accessible or handicapped go-kart,
my thoughts would be:
Would you want the wheelchair to be able to be dropped/placed inside the
gokart?
Would the person want to be able to drive the kart on their own (i.e. not
a two-seater or assisted driving?)
I would probably go the electrical motors route. I would choose to use the
handle-bars from a bycycle or scooter. This would allow steering, brakes
and accelerator to be hand operated. With electric motors, the throttle
can be configured, so when it is pulled backwards, the motor can be used
to slow down the kart. Also in with an electrical kart there would be no
hot areas where a person could potentially burn themselves. Also with
petrol karts etc. there may be a small risk of a fire.
It wouldnt be too hard to adapt a current gokart, putting the handle bars
off a scooter/moped, connecting up the brakes and accelerator.

As you mentioned, I too am very suprised that there doesnt seem to be a
handicap accessible gokart market out there (from initial looking
anyways).
I wish you the best of luck. If you do find any places/stores or market,
let me know and I can pass on the information and/or put an article on my
karting blog/website.

-steve