[Kartbuilding] Questions concerning go carts

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Mon Feb 26 08:42:28 GMT 2007

Mike,

On the chainsaw engine - there should be an bell shaped housing - onto
which the chainsaw chain attaches. See middle object:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Kart_Clearance_and_Memories/DSC01283.JPG.html
and
http://www.kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Kart_Clearance_and_Memories/DSC01038.JPG.html
and
http://www.kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Kart_Clearance_and_Memories/DSC01036.JPG.html
You can see the star shaped existing sprocket which drives the cutting
chain on the chainsaw. You will have to weld your normal sprocket off a
motorbike or bike to this bell shaped housing. Its much better to use
chains and sprockets off a motorbike rather than off a bycycle. The
sprockets and chains on a motorbike are much thicker, stronger and the
chain will not come off as easily as it does on a bycycle. You can buy
these sprockets and chains in a motorbike shop. You might be able to get
old ones if you ask for them in the motorbike shop/repair shop.
As for 6 times the diameter - you need AT LEAST a gear ratio of 1:6 for
the small chainsaw engine. Yes - I have found 1:6 to be useful for small
engines - however this is not set in stone. You will be looking for
something like 10teeth on the sprocket on the engine, and 60teeth for the
one on the rear axle.
As for what other parts to get etc. - you could start looking for suitable
wheels, a suitable brake (callipers brake) off a moped or scooter, a
steering wheel, suitable wheels etc.