[Kartbuilding] Steve - one quick question about 2 optional Torque Converters -

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Wed Jul 11 16:07:40 IST 2007

Hi Norm,

I done some looking on the www.northerntool.com website.
It looks as if you choose the Torque converter method, you *will* have
some adaptation to do, to get it to suit your engine.

There are two methods:
1. Torque Converter
2. Centrifical Clutch

The Torque Converter will need a transfer(middle) axle to transfer the
power via chain to the rear axle. Even if you choose the 5/8" type Torque
Converter for your Engine shaft, the other part of the TQ will not fit
onto the rear axle. A intermeditory/trans axle will have to be setup, so
the power gets transferred to the rear axle.
See: http://webpages.charter.net/jeffparker/page20.htm
See: http://www.metropartsmarket.com/gokart/torque_converter_2.jpg
See: http://www.797-0807.com/images/large/gokart_ID12_05_LRG.jpg

It seems as if the torque converter is meant to bolt onto the engine, but
the power must then be transferred to the rear axle using sprockets and
chains.

The second option is the Centrifical Clutch and is way easier (however not
very efficient). This option can be seen on the www.northertool.com
website. Look under the "accessories" section on:
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_1039461_1039461

I previously wrote an article covering centrifical clutch drives on
http://blog.kartbuilding.net Specifically the article is at:
http://blog.kartbuilding.net/2007/06/26/using-a-centrifugal-clutch-and-chain-drive/

I suggest that if you are not willing to do much modifications and work,
to go the centrifical clutch route.