[Kartbuilding] kart plans

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Wed Jul 18 09:19:16 IST 2007

Hi Tony,

Yes - feel free to use any of the plans and material on
www.kartbuilding.net There is also some kart plans on the blog at:
http://blog.kartbuilding.net/2007/07/12/free-technical-kart-drawings-fia/

The eDrawings 3d version of the gokart is indeed very useful. It is also
possible to measure any component, and create visual section views using
eDrawings.

The Honda 4.5hp engines are very typical and will work the kart fine,
achieving speeds up to 25-30mph. You will need to obtain a "centrifugal
clutch" to transmit the power smoothly to the rear axle via a chain. You
can read more about this transmission on the blog also at:
http://blog.kartbuilding.net/2007/06/26/using-a-centrifugal-clutch-and-chain-drive/
The Honda 4.5hp engines have a typical 3/4" output shaft, so there wont be
any problems with standard sizes. Those engines (which are all typically
small variations of the same) are actually used on karts here in ireland.
See:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Commercial_Karts-Photos_and_Details/
As a result, if you knew of any karting arena/track in your County, you
could get an old/second-hand centrifugal clutch, and maybe a chain and
rear axle sprocket to match!

Anyways, the very best of luck on this project. It will be a very
worthwhile experience for all involved, providing much interest and
motivation in getting the kart working and in testing it.

If you have any questions etc. feel free to email me.

Best of Luck,
Steve