[Kartbuilding] Question : Wooden Kart - Belt Drive & Idler Clutch Pulley

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Fri May 11 17:46:36 IST 2007

Hi Joe,

You seem to be familiar with the basic setup of the wooden kart, lawnmower
engine and belt drive. The following pages are a recap of this:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/drive/Belt_and_Pulley_Drive.htm
http://www.kartbuilding.net/PlAnS/engine%20connection.gif
http://www.kartbuilding.net/woodenkart/chassis_explained.htm

Now - adding a 3rd pulley wheel to act as a clutch (allowing the kart to
idle) can be done afterwards. So if you are not too sure, I would
recommend you proceed as planned and connect up the engine and rear axle
directly.

Onto the 3rd idler pulley wheel explaination. After the above drive setup
has been completed, a Lever (simply a steel bar with a hinge at one end,
and a handle at the other) is mounted, with a small freely spining pulley
wheel in the middle of this lever. The lever should be able to move up or
down (placed between the rear axle and the engine). The idea is that the
lever with the free spinning pulley can be moved in against the drive belt
and moved away from the drive belt. Once the lever is in place, a larger
V-belt is purchased (or move the engine closer to the rear axle, so the
drive belt is loose, and the kart will not move).
Start the lawnmower engine. The kart will not move, because the v-belt is
loose. In order to get the kart moving, the Lever is moved in against the
V-belt. This will cause the v-belt to tension/tighten, and as a result
grip the pulley wheel on the engine and on the rear axle, and the kart
will move forward.
Do you get the idea?

The freely spining pulley in the middle (or at one end of the lever (and
pivot it in the middle) can be a simple bearing which runs freely and can
be moved in against the V-belt. Some pictures of an idler pulley can be
seen at:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Kart_Clearance_and_Memories/DSC01059.JPG.html
http://www.kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Kart_Clearance_and_Memories/DSC01060.JPG.html
http://www.kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Kart_Clearance_and_Memories/DSC01061.JPG.html
http://www.kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Kart_Clearance_and_Memories/DSC01062.JPG.html

So imagine, introducing the above into the following:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Kart_Clearance_and_Memories/DSC01256.JPG.html
so that the lever controls the tension of the drive belt.

If you are still unsure as how it works, email me back, and I'll see if I
can draw a diagram etc.