[Kartbuilding] May I get some help?

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Thu Nov 15 14:04:48 GMT 2007

Hi Michelle,

Indeed - the basic wooden kart (plans at:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/Wooden_Go-Kart_Plans/index.html ) is not
designed with safety in mind, rather it takes a "minimalistic" approach. I
dont have plans for a revised wooden kart as of yet, however I can outline
some areas which need improving on here:
- There is no Seatbelt and or enclosed seat for the driver to provide side
support.
- There should be a "Floor Pan" ontop of the chassis up as far as the
pivoting front axle. This is to prevent any peoples feet from hitting the
ground. See: http://www.kartbuilding.net/Freeplans/floor.htm (this can be
a wooden piece of sheeting, 1/4" or 6mm thick).
- There are no brakes! This page provides information for using brakes off
a bycycle on a gokart:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/woodenkart/brakes.htm
- There are no mud guards which would also serve as a cover to prevent the
drivers hands from dangling down onto the rear wheels.
- There is no rope or padding on the rope to allow the driver to
comfortably steer the front wheels.

These are but some of the areas which would need to be assessed before the
wooden kart would be considered fully safe.

If you and your class do manage to make a wooden kart, it would be great
to see some photos of how its built and how it turns out!