[Kartbuilding] May I get some help?
sburke at burkesys.com
Thu Nov 15 14:04:48 GMT 2007
Indeed - the basic wooden kart (plans at:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/Wooden_Go-Kart_Plans/index.html ) is not
designed with safety in mind, rather it takes a "minimalistic" approach. I
dont have plans for a revised wooden kart as of yet, however I can outline
some areas which need improving on here:
- There is no Seatbelt and or enclosed seat for the driver to provide side
- There should be a "Floor Pan" ontop of the chassis up as far as the
pivoting front axle. This is to prevent any peoples feet from hitting the
ground. See: http://www.kartbuilding.net/Freeplans/floor.htm (this can be
a wooden piece of sheeting, 1/4" or 6mm thick).
- There are no brakes! This page provides information for using brakes off
a bycycle on a gokart:
- There are no mud guards which would also serve as a cover to prevent the
drivers hands from dangling down onto the rear wheels.
- There is no rope or padding on the rope to allow the driver to
comfortably steer the front wheels.
These are but some of the areas which would need to be assessed before the
wooden kart would be considered fully safe.
If you and your class do manage to make a wooden kart, it would be great
to see some photos of how its built and how it turns out!
Best of Luck,
On Tue, 13 Nov 2007, Michelle Pranoto wrote:
> Hi my name is Michelle P,
> I need some help from you. Me and my class are going to make a simple
> wooden Go Kart.
> The one that you have in your website is not really safe. If you
> would mind please give me some informations about
> how to make a simple wooden go kart and the safe one.
> Please I really need your help.
More information about the Kartbuilding