[Kartbuilding] human powered go carts

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Thu Nov 8 18:54:08 GMT 2007

David,

Do you mean "Human powered" as in using pedals etc. to propel the wooden
kart forwards?
The wooden kart as on:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/Wooden_Go-Kart_Plans/index.html
could easily be adapted to suit two children side-by-side. This wooden
kart is relatively simple to build using simple tools and materials. The
steering setup is very basic and will require either one driver to steer
with their feet or both drivers via a rope.

As for adding the human powered part, via pedals, chains and sprockets
(similar to a bycycle), it would be possible to add this in. This would
greatly complicate the design however. Take a read of one of my recent
emails on Pedal Go-karts at:
http://lists.kartbuilding.net/2007-November/000489.html

It might be possible to take a "wheelchair" approach to powering the
Go-Kart. If large spoked wheels are used on the wooden kart, it would be
possible for the two children to propel themselves along by manually
turning the wheels. If large wheels are used, the center of gravity must
be kept low so the kart will not overturn. This method would be the
simplest and easiest to get working.

If you manage to build such a kart, feel free to email on a photo for the
www.kartbuilding.net website.

Best of Luck,
Steve