[Kartbuilding] Kart problems - Steering Problem (Track Rods)

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Tue Nov 20 16:10:10 GMT 2007

Hi Val,

I suspect that the problem you are having is as a result of track rod
adjustment. If the ackerman angle which is applied to the steering arms is
incorrect it may cause the front stub axles to lock up in an overseer
position.
Looking at:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/racingkart/Free_Racing_Kart_Plans_PDF/Main_Kart_Complete_12_Front_Steering_End.pdf
If the track rods were allowed to turn too far towards the right or left,
then a situation may arise where the steering arm turns too far. E.g. the
steering arm on the left turns from the 5 o'clock position to 11 o'clock
then it may lock up.
The easiest solution would be to weld "stops" to prevent the front wheels
from moving too far left/right.

I hope this information/suggestion helps you.