[Kartbuilding] Gear ratio

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Tue Nov 20 16:18:41 GMT 2007

Hi John,

I have used a very similar Honda GX engine. See:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Kart_Clearance_and_Memories/DSC00988.JPG.html

Without gears that Honda engine will only propel a kart up to approx.
30mph, and thats with a slow take-off speed.
Typically, you would want at least a 6:1 gear ratio. 14" (inch) diameter
wheels are quite large.

If your looking to use *only* the gearbox out of the Kawasaki and attach
it to the Honda engine, I would advise against it, unless you have a lot
of spare time, you like tinkering, and if its only for a test. I attached
a Honda 90 gearbox (4 gears and a manual clutch) to a Honda GX engine. It
worked, but it was not reliable with two chains turning at high speeds,
and a large cumulative weight! (gearboxes are heavy). It was a good
challenge, but looking back, I would have saved myself a lot of time and
money if I had bought a complete motorbike engine.

I hope this information helps.