[Kartbuilding] ackerman angle importance?

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Sat Sep 22 16:07:44 IST 2007

Hi James,

Yes - it is ok to use the "positive" ackerman angle (where the steering
arms are pointing away from each other). The only reason I use the
"negative" ackerman angle is that its easier to setup, and the clearance
is better for the wheels. Therefore if a bigger tire/wheel was put on
afterwards, it would not interfere with the steering arms.

I have built several karts with as you mentioned "eye-balled" measurements
from looking at other karts and photos.

As for the "Tie Rods". I would go with whatever is cheapest and adapt it
to suit. If the X angle your referring to, is for the tie rods, then yes -
it will be fine.

I hope that has answered your questions. Im sure if you look/search you
will see other karts using the same setup.

I would be very interested to see pictures of the build, sneak peek
pictures and all! Some of the most valuable information comes from the
build itself! Email them onto me here and I can put them on the
www.kartbuilding.net website with a small article!

Thanks,
Steve