[Kartbuilding] ASK

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Sat Dec 13 16:48:09 GMT 2008

Hi Wayne,

I have made kart frames with no idea where I would put the engine. Once I
did have the frame made, I found a place to put the engine. The easiest
way to mount the engine, is to firstly bolt the engine to a piece of
plywood 3/4" (or 20mm) thick. Once you have the engine secured to a piece
of plywood, you can then clamp/bolt or fix this to the chassis in whatever
position you need to connect it up with a chain.

Another idea would be to get some chalk, and to draw the frame out on the
ground. Put your wheels down on the ground, and draw chalk lines in
between. Also get somebody to sit down with their legs out in front, like
they were driving the kart. Again, trace around them. Plan out where the
wheels, driver and engine will go firstly. Then cut pieces of steel
tubing, placing them on the ground on the chalk lines and weld together.