[Kartbuilding] Building the Karts as a Jr. College Introduction to Engineering Project

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Tue Jan 8 13:05:03 GMT 2008

Kyle,

Designing and building a kart would be an excellent introdution to
engineering. Karts can be made as simple or as complicated as need be.
There would be some planning required however as how to break down the
parts of the kart allowing students to form groups etc. to make the
various pieces. I have seen some Second-Level schools make their own
wheels! - turned from two/three aluminium blocks bolted together.

Cost would depend on how much you can make during the class term. If time
is restricted, then you will have to buy a lot of pre-made components in.
I.e. you can buy the wheels, steering wheel, brake unit complete etc. etc.
Costs then would vary from anywhere from EUR100 to EUR300 for a single
kart. The engine would be another cost. A simple 70cc engine could be
obtained for EUR80 and could be quickly connected. Depending on the health
and safety requirements of the kart, a good deal of time might have to be
spent in this area, making a chain guard, seat belt, bumpers etc. etc.

Overall - making a kart is very feasible in a school environment, and is
an extremely worthwhile experience for the students.

If you have any further questions etc. just let us know.