[Kartbuilding] PushCart Project Info

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Tue Jan 22 18:29:47 GMT 2008

Aishah,

Sorry for the slow reply.
There are a few specifications/ criteria you can consider when designing
the basic cart. You could focus more on the safety side of things. Make
sure there are guards over the wheels. Make sure there is a proper seat
with a seat-belt for the driver. If its a "push cart" rather than a
"downhill kart" (where the latter requires no assistance), then you need
to take into account the safety of the person pushing the cart. Perhaps
you could design some innovative handle that the "pusher" of the cart can
use to safely propel the kart forwards. On this special handle used to
push the kart could be a safety brake to stop the kart if it ran out of
control etc.

If you only have six hours to make the kart, then you will want to make
the kart as simple as possible.
http://www.kartbuilding.net/Wooden_Go-Kart_Plans/index.html outlines the
easiest and quickest way to make a wooden push kart in my opinion. As for
costs, depending on whether you have some timber available, the kart can
be made using this. There is no real cost in the wooden kart, particularly
if you have the wheels already. On the wooden kart I built, I obtained the
spoked wheels from two old and scrapped childrens bycycles. These worked
fine, however limited the axle to 1/2" or 12mm. The only costs I had was
the bolts, washers and a few pins.

I hope this information helps. If you have any further questions just let
us know. If you do manage to deisgn and build the wooden kart, feel free
to send on some photos which I can share with others.