[Kartbuilding] wooden chassis fibreglass kart

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Wed Jun 4 21:53:24 IST 2008

Hi Rob,

You seem to know what you want to do regarding the kart. I would be a
little weary/cautious of achieving the speeds you mention. You are going
to have to give a lot of thought to the bearings, axles and steering of
the kart. There wont be much room for error. Also, if you are going down
the wooden spaceframe chassis path, you need to make sure that you do
everything properly. I cant even recommend or say of anyone who has made a
wooden kart chassis from wood and for it to achieve 60+mph. However if you
are still going ahead, I would suggest using a hardwood (teak or ash) for
the chassis with all joints glued and assembled properly.

I wouldn't worry too much about the fiberglass at this stage. I think it
would be more critical figuring out the drive, axles, bearings and
steering. The chassis is going to need a lot of time. As for blueprints,
you are going to have to get a pencil and paper and sketch out various
designs yourself. Again the following page has links to two chassis design
pages which should help:
http://lists.kartbuilding.net/2008-May/000556.html
There is more information regarding space frame design, however I dont
have the material in electronic format.

I suggest you google for off-road karts with the theme you are looking for
and go from there. Once you have your initial chassis shape and layout,
you can take things from there.