[Kartbuilding] go kart. Wooden - Metal Karts

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Wed Jun 4 21:45:33 IST 2008

Hi John,

Im glad to hear your progressing onto making a metal based gokart. Once
you get started, you will find it easier to cut and weld metal together,
making a very strong and sturdy kart.
The first thing you want to look at is the type of chassis you want to
make. There are a few sets of kart plans on the www.kartbuilding.net
website which are mainly using metal chassis. Typically the three are:

http://www.kartbuilding.net/racingkart/index.html
http://www.kartbuilding.net/Freeplans/plans.htm
http://www.kartbuilding.net/Highway_Street_Kart_1962/index.html

Another good read would be the following email which discusses chassis
design: http://lists.kartbuilding.net/2008-May/000556.html

Once you are decided on the type of chassis, you want to spend a good deal
of time making the chassis. This will give you time as well to figure out
the wheels and engine etc. Looking through the http://kartbuilding.net
website will be very useful for you.

If you have any specific questions, just let me know.

Best regards,
-steve