[Kartbuilding] Tips needed!

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Sun Mar 23 02:15:23 GMT 2008

Hi Tarun,

So you want to make a go kart with a "plough" attached to the rear of the
kart and one attached on the front as well? The plough on the rear of the
kart will be easy enough as it can be simply pulled along behind the kart.
As for the carrier on the front, it depends on how complicated you want to
make it. If it is going to be a stationary carrier, then it will be easy
enough. Personally, I would have both the carrier and the plough on the
rear of the kart. The plough would be carried by its two own wheels.

As for the engine specs. Does the Bullet 350cc have a manual clutch?
Having manual gears and a clutch would be essential, especially if you are
going doing some sort of ploughing.
You also did not say if the Bullet 500cc engine is air or water cooled.
If the kart is going to be moving slow, and doing a lot of work, then air
cooling will probably be not enough.

Yes - an ATV design would be the best. I would also look into the
possibility of getting a differential with a differential lock, so both
rear wheels can spin together.
You could also use a standard differential on the rear axle, but have
independant brakes on the rear wheels. Therefore if one of the rear wheels
starts spinning, you can press the brake on this wheel and transfer the
power to the other rear wheel, and get moving again.

If you have time and patience, then you will be able to get something
suitable made.