[Kartbuilding] Off Road Kart Help

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Fri May 23 22:22:13 IST 2008

Hi Jack,

Building a off-road kart complete with full suspension takes a lot of
planning. I would advise the following approach and plan of action:

1. Do up a parts list (materials, wheels, engine, shocks & springs etc.)
2. Outline a budget for the Kart
3. Sketch out the design of the kart and the layout.
4. Refine the parts list and quantity of materials.
5. Outline a "timeline" for building the kart. I.e. number of weekends and
what section/area of the build will be done first.
Typically the chassis is done first, then the suspension, axles and
steering. Next would be hubs, wheels and getting a rolling chassis.
Determine what bits you can't do yourself. If you can't weld etc. you will
need to see if you can get a person to assist you.
6. Source all the parts and materials.
7. Start the build.

Typically if you sketch out the concept and overall shape and design of
the kart, you will be in a good position to outline the build.