[Kartbuilding] Axles

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Tue Oct 7 23:49:56 IST 2008

Hi Francisco,

The reason why some karts would have two rear axles, is because this would
allow one rear wheel to be driven and one to spin freely.
With a single solid live rear axle (where both rear wheels are attached to
the one spining axle) cornering can be very difficult. As there is no
differential, when cornering, the outside wheel must go faster than the
inside. As a result the inside rear wheel must slip in order for the kart
to go around the corner.

One solution is to use a differential:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/drive/Differential.htm

Another solution is to have two rear axles, and allow one rear wheel to
spin freely/independently from the other.

For racing karts the most common solution is just to attach both rear
wheels to the one live axle, and with the chassis and steering setup allow
the chassis to flex allowing the inside rear wheel to slip when cornering.

I hope this helps answer your question.