[Kartbuilding] shifter kart plans

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Thu Oct 15 19:51:00 IST 2009

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the email, and sorry for the slow reply.
Indeed, there is a lot of work in that Tony kart, particularly all the
pieces of tubing, and all the pipe bending required. The pipe bending
would be the hardest, in setting up, bending, then welding all the pieces
together. Of course with a little time and patience, it could be done.

If your looking for a somewhat simpler racing kart design with information
on all the details, then you could take a look at the following plans on:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/racingkart/index.html
( More at:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/racingkart/Old_Racing_Kart/racingkart.htm )
This kart doesn't require a pipe bender, and can be easily enough made,
although a welder would be required.

Typically in all karts, the tubing is between 25mm and 35mm diameter. The
wall thickness of the tubing can vary. In racing karts where weight is an
issue, the wall thickess would be 1.5mm. In my karts, I use standard
tubing with a wall thickness of 2mm - 2.5mm.

I hope this information helps.