[Kartbuilding] Chassis Design

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Thu Oct 22 23:02:45 IST 2009

Hi Craig,

Thanks for your email. It sounds like a very interesting project you have
there! I wish I had the time to look into such areas.

Reading your email brings something to mind. Take a look at the following
kart:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/OtherPeoplesKarts/OscarForand/
A fellow kartbuilder sent in those photos of a space frame type kart
chassis. I know he had some extra things to do to allow the top portion of
the chassis to flex.

Take a read of the following PDF:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/The_NatSKA_Guide_to_Karts_and_Karting/Pages-1-10-11-12-13-Chassis-Design.pdf
I suggest you try and get your hands on that complete book where it
explains chassis design, and the types of chassis available.

I also advise you to "nail down" your project. Specifically, you need to
decide on the following:
Are you dealing with suspension in Karts (if so, this can change the
chassis design a lot).
Are you having a live rear axle? With both rear wheels attached to the
Axle (i.e. not using a differential)?

As for advise regarding how to approach the kart chassis design in
SolidWorks, take a look at the following solidworks blog of mine:
http://solidworks.burkesys.com/2009/08/3dvia-tv-solidworks-official-youtube-channel/
There is a youtube video there from SolidWorks on how to design a chassis
in SolidWorks using a "Weldments" method in a Part. I suggest you copy
what is done in the video.
If it is a very simple chassis you are building, then you can make the
seperate parts and assemble them together.

I would be most interested in receiving a copy of your Project and
findings! It would make a great read, and perhaps answer some of the
questions regarding types of chassis in the back of my mind.

If you have any specific questions, just drop us an email. By the way, I'm
based in Ireland.