[Kartbuilding] materials for kart

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Wed Sep 2 23:43:06 IST 2009

Hi Shannon,

The main components for the off road karts are the wheels and the engines.
All the other parts can be obtained from old lawnmowers and/or old/crashed
motorbikes or mopeds.

I recommend going through:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/Freeplans/plans.htm
as it outlines cheap methods to make the chassis and assembly the front
and rear axles. Ideally you should use 25mm diameter steel tubing, however
you can adjust this to suit whatever materials you have available.

What type of materials do you have available? You might find that you can
make do with lots of parts you already have. This will save you from
having to buy any expensive parts.

A Welder and Grinder will be extremely useful for salvaging parts and
materials from old vehicles/equipment that you can use.

Dear Sir

We are living in Botswana and have found your details on various web
sites.
We wish to build off road karts from scratch at minimal cost.  Please
would you advise on plans and costs for
simple karts that can be safely used by children and adults.
I look forward to hearing from you.

Shannon Scott