[Kartbuilding] Rear axle

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Thu Jul 8 00:04:00 IST 2010

Hi Maxime,

Them wheels with the metal hub look good, although a little costly as 4
x €30 (we're Euros here too in Ireland). Perhaps you could get a
discount for buying 4 together.
Anyway, it looks like there are roller bearings inside those wheels. See
the black insert.

In my opinion, for the rear wheels, you will have to remove this black
insert (roller bearing sleeve). I'm not sure what inside diameter this
will leave then (probably 30 or 35mm diameter. The website says 25mm
diameter, presumably with the black roller bearing insert).
You have two methods to attach the rear wheels.
1. The quickest is to weld the metal hub to the rear axle. If you want
to remove the wheels afterwards, you have to grind/file off the weld.
This is the method I used on my karts. I had an angle grinder which I
could easily remove the weld.
2. Seeing as you have access to a lathe, you can turn two flange pieces.
You can weld a stub axle to the wheel, and then a flange at the end of
this stub axle. You can bold/attach/put a keyway of the other flange
onto the end of the main axle. You can then bolt the two flanges
together. See the attached image.

For the Sprocket Carrier and Disc Carrier, you have to make the same
decision.
Will you be happy simply welding the carriers to the rear axle, or do
you want to provide a keyway as is done in professional go-karts?
The following images show how I welded the carriers and wheels to the
rear axle:
http://kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Off-Road_Kart/DSC04620.JPG.html
http://kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Off-Road_Kart/DSC04607.JPG.html
http://kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Off-Road_Kart/DSC04705.JPG.html

Let me know if you will be happy simply welding the carriers to the axle
or not. This will then influence the rear axle and how it should be made.

P.S. You could use the wheels with the plastic hubs for the front
wheels. This will save you money. The front wheels need to spin freely,
and thus don't have to be fixed to the front stub axles. A simple split
pin and washer on either side of the front wheels will work. See:
http://kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Off-Road_Kart/DSC04597.JPG.html

Also, one last question, what bearings are you going to use for the rear
axle. Do you have any in mind?
The pillar bearings on the following page would be the easiest method:
http://kartbuilding.net/Freeplans/axle.htm

I hope this information helps.

-steve