[Kartbuilding] question about lawnmower powered wooden go-kart

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Wed Jul 28 21:27:12 IST 2010

Hi Jules,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.
Please find attached a PDF showing what I suggest. I have also attached
a 3D eDrawing, in a Zip file, to this email.

What I suggest is as follows:
See 1. on the PDF. You will have to cut 2 grooves into your output
shaft, using a (new blade) hacksaw and file.
See 2. on the PDF. Get some flat steel bar 20mm x 5mm around 80mm long.
Bend into an "n" shape, so it will fit into the groove made on the
output shaft.
See 3. on the PDF. Using a hacksaw and file, remove a single groove to
accommodate the bent "n" shape of metal.

Using a long bolt, tighten the lot together onto the end of the Engine
Shaft.
Using this method, there is no way the pulley wheel would rotate on its
own, and would be fully attached to the engine output shaft.

The above procedure is very similar to what I done for my kart. See:
http://kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Kart_Clearance_and_Memories/DSC01217.JPG.html
http://kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Kart_Clearance_and_Memories/DSC01214.JPG.html

http://kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Kart_Clearance_and_Memories/DSC01070.JPG.html

Let me know what you think.

Thanks also for the photos. Please email on some more.
I have concerns about "100_0974" where the engine is shown on the rear
of the kart.
The engine it too high. The engines output shaft, where the pulley is,
should be lower down to the rear axle. See the attached image.

Feel free to email on some more images. It was many years ago when I
made my lawnmower powered wooden go-kart, and of course I didn't take
any photos!
Also, I'd like to put the photos on the kartbuilding.net gallery at
http://kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/OtherPeoplesKarts/  to help other people.

Let me know how the kart goes.