[Kartbuilding] Fwd: Re: question about lawnmower powered wooden go-kart

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Wed Jul 28 21:28:47 IST 2010

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Re: question about lawnmower powered wooden go-kart
Date: 	Mon, 26 Jul 2010 18:42:34 -0400 (EDT)
From: 	Julie Swanson
To: 	Stephen Burke

Attached are some pictures of the drive shaft and pulley. I'm thinking
of going and buying another pulley that doesn't have the thickness this
one does (the knob on one side) but am also thinking I could hacksaw
that off or wait and see what you suggest. I think the drive shaft is
iron or steel, something that rusts has to have iron in it, right? A
magnet sticks to it at any rate.

I was thinking maybe I could cut the knob off the pulley and bolt it on
(or try to find a thinner one w/o the knob; couldn't find one at the
store that size) and then buy a thin drill bit that will drill into
metal and drill at an angle through the pulled and into the drive shaft
and then sink a thin finishing nail or metal pin in there and cut and
file it off flush to the angled V of the pulley. Do you think that would
work, 2 or three little pins like that?

Thanks for taking a look at this.

Jules