[Kartbuilding] Front stub axles and Kingins. Off road Karts

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Tue Mar 1 21:35:49 GMT 2011

Hi Ron,

Thanks for your email and comments. I'm glad you are finding the
kartbuilding.net website useful.

I see what you mean regarding "closeness of the wheel to the actual king
pin". To put it another way, you are wondering how long the front "Stub
Axles" should be and if there is an ideal length.

Off-Road Kart Stub Axle  - http://kartbuilding.net/Freeplans/faxle.htm
Racing Kart Stub Axle -
http://kartbuilding.net/racingkart/Free_Racing_Kart_Plans_PDF/Main_Kart_Complete_04_Front_Stub_Axles_and_KingPins.pdf

The length of the Stub Axle shouldn't matter too much, but I would try
and keep as little as possible. I know for the Off-road kart however I
left some extra room in case I wanted to fit brakes to the front wheels.
Also, whatever length of Stub Axle you choose, make sure that the front
wheel will turn from right to left fully without hitting the chassis.

I hope this helps. Let me know how it goes and if you have any other
questions.