[Kartbuilding] racing kart

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Sun Jan 6 11:56:09 GMT 2013

Hi Dale,

Great to hear you are building one of the racing karts on
kartbuilding.net I'd be very interested to see any photos of the kart as
you are building it.

Onto your query - I suggest you make the front stub axles and king pin
mounting - its much more fun and satisfaction.
I managed to make the stub axles and king pin mount without a lathe, and
only used standard stock steel (3/4" or 20mm diameter round bar and 40mm
flat steel)
Did you see the photographs of the racing kart plans.
See: http://kartbuilding.net/racingkart/Old_Racing_Kart/kingpins.htm

You can see a little more information on:
http://blog.kartbuilding.net/2007/07/12/steering-geometry-and-setup-for-go-karts/
I would highly recommend putting the Yoke (n-shaped piece made from flat
steel) onto the stub axle and the pivot pipe onto the chassis.
If your welding is good, then it will be fine. Perhaps give a double run
of weld over all joints in this area.

If you want, email a photo of the king pin setup on the bought kart you
mentioned and I can see it setup and then see which is easier and better.

Let us know how it goes.