[Kartbuilding] Do you have any lightweight, afforable frame recommendations for a simple fun / yard / gokart?

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Tue Jul 10 09:22:59 IST 2007

Hi Norm,

Im glad that you found the www.kartbuilding.net website and are finding it
useful.
Firstly, that engine sounds ok. Engines with a horizontal drive shaft are
much easier to work with. I think I found the parts listing for that
engine at:
http://shop.briggsandstratton.com/BShopProductPage.asp?CatalogID=656F8AC4-B611-4BB3-95BF-A9C915B1275A&MECID=100&CategoryID=&lrid=&ProductID=56B2BBE4-283C-11D4-8886-00B0D0203414#
You will definately need a torque converter for that engine. This will get
the maximum speed over a range of terrains.
www.northerntool.com is the best place to get Go-Kart parts and
accessories. Various torque converters can be found here:
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/category_6970_291701+93+544611

Now, onto your chassis and lightweight assembly. There are lots and lots
of places on the internet where you can buy go-kart assembly kits.
Northerntool.com do actually have a Go-Kart assembly kit at:
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_1039461_1039461
which looks pretty nice, however does cost around $650. The wheels and
seat comes with this package. If you want to trim down the weight as much
as possible, I think this kit has too much in it. Ideall you would be able
to attach a lightweight plastic seat onto an assembled chassis as per:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/Freeplans/seat.htm
I have also heard of www.ubuilditplans.com
http://www.ubuilditplans.com/NEWUBUILDITKITS.HTML has various stages, i.e.
just the chassis, or the chassis and wheels or the chassis + wheels +
engine. Again as when buying parts etc. you are paying quite a bit of
money. Also the karts on ubuilditplans look heavy and a bit much for your
small engine.

If you can navigate http://www.mxk.com/  there are lightweight kits
available. See:
http://www.tres-angle.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=GFOM&Category_Code=YKAP
and
http://www.tres-angle.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=GFOM&Product_Code=YK020WX
which is a pre-welded kit and chassis.

The torque converter will make things much easier and should be able to
cope with whatever weight the kart is.

I hope this provided you with what you were looking for.