[Kartbuilding] wedling/racing cart

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Thu Jul 19 08:51:21 IST 2007

Aye - you might be needing a new rear axle. Any wobbles like a bent rear
axle would cause the chain to come off the sprocket. Even if the chain did
stay on, the brake disc and calliper would require a lot of freedom to
allow enough clearance (to prevent rubbing when the axle rotates).

Onto your transmission.
OK - so you have a 11hp engine at 3600rpm.
Are you sure the rear wheels are 30 inches in diameter!!?? I think thats
surely a typo. 12 inches (or 30 centimeters) sounds more likely.

I do think that using a ratio of 2.8:1 will burn out the centrifugal
clutch. Onto the purpose of the kart. What are you going to mainly use the
kart for? Racing, off-road, general purpose. Will the kart be requiring
high acceleration on take-off? or high top end speed. Perhaps if the
centrifugal clutch is rated for a 11hp engine, then it will not wear the
clutch excessively.

The IDEAL transmission method is to use a "torque converter". This uses a
variable transmission, giving lots of torque at low speeds, and high top
end speed.
(In looking for a torque converter on northerntool.com, I came across your
brake calliper at:
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200323386_200323386
!!)
Here is a torque converter kit ->
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_21024_21024
If you have the money, I would definately consider it.

Anyways, even if you do choose to go ahead with the centrifugal clutch,
you can easily change things afterwards if need be. I suppose you can try
it and see. What I done to allow me to change sprockets on the rear axle,
was to cut a quadrant/section out of the sprocket, bolt it to the carrier,
and then weld the cuts. See:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Kart_Clearance_and_Memories/DSC01026.JPG.html
http://www.kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Kart_Clearance_and_Memories/DSC01028.JPG.html
http://www.kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Kart_Clearance_and_Memories/DSC01029.JPG.html

I know your sprocket has a hub attached already, so this may not work too
well, but Im sure you get the idea. Otherwise removing the sprocket can be
quite difficult especially if you have the wheels welded on can be a lot
of work!

As for the set screws stoping the side to side movement, get some thread
locking fluid (loctite) which will prevent the set screws from coming
loose, which you wouldnt want!

As for attaching the sprocket/clutch to the engine, I would advise against
welding it to the engine. There again should be a keyway that can be used.
There also should be a threaded hole in the end of the engine's output
shaft, where you can bolt in a flange piece to stop the clutch from
slipping off. There should also be a set screw on the centrifugal clutch
which you can use. But as for welding, some engine shafts are very brittle
(tempered cast steel etc.) and welds can easily break off.

Feel free to send on whatever photos of the parts you use, and I can put
up a section on the www.kartbuilding.net website on your kart!